Monday, January 9, 2012

Happy New Year

A ton of exciting things are happening in fifth grade!  I'm sorry that the blog hasn't been updated in awhile.  I posted this weeks spelling words earlier today.  They are also already up on spellingcity.com.

Today a packet and letter went home about postcards.  We are asking students to fill out addresses and bring them back.  You have no obligation to buy.  Students will get a prize just for filling out their postcards. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

This week my class has Mrs. Campbell for Science.  They will have her for 2 more weeks.   We are currently working on test preparation for State Assessments.  Please be on the look out for reading test examples to come home.  You can go over these with your child to continue to help them prep for state assessments.  Please also continue to work with your child on their multiplication facts!

I am currently working on my Master's Degree.  I graduate in May!  (I'm very excited. I have learned a ton of different activities to do with your children.)  The class I am currently taking is called Action Research.  I have to do a research study and write a huge paper about it.  I sent home today 10 letters asking for some of your children to participate in this study.   The study is about using multiplication and finding strategies to help remember the basic multiplication facts.  I need to signed permission slip by Friday.  I am going to try and email each of the parents that I sent letters home to.  This way they know to be on the look out for it.

The box tops competition is in full swing!  Please make sure your child is turning in their box tops to our room.  Put their name on the bag that has their  name on it. 

Spelling test is this Friday.

On Monday, January 16th there is no school. 

On January 20th we will have the school wide spelling bee.  On Thursday, January 12 we will have a class spelling bee.  On Friday, January 13 we will have a fifth grade bee.  The top 4 spellers will then go on to compete for the school spelling bee. 

We just got word that Day at the K is scheduled for 17th.  This is after school has ended for the year.  So we are looking into other field trip opportunities. 

Friday, January 27th there is no school. 

We do have our c-section to have Flint scheduled for March 8th.  I am planning on working up until March 7th.  Dawn Rumford will be my long term sub.  She will finish out the year with the kids.  I will be back in periodically to say hi. Bringing the baby of course.  I will be there for 5th grade graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment